This week I’m so excited to be partnering with Primal Kitchen to show you a few different ways to use their products. AND, I’m hosting a giveaway where one lucky winner will receive all of the tasty items shown below. More details on that later! The awesome peeps over at Primal Kitchen were kind enough to send me a package of goodies, and right when I opened the box I knew that a Chopped Detox Salad was about to be born from the Roots and Sol kitchen. It’s yummy, it’s trendy, it’s good and good for you, nutritious and delicious.
Primal Kitchen 411
Have you heard of Primal Kitchen? If not, lemme school you in the condiment heaven that they’re cookin up and shippin’ out all over the U.S. Let’s face it, even from a veg-head like myself, vegetables can be really boring and need a lot of jazzing up. That’s why finding healthy condiments is so important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle and keeping things interesting.
Primal Kitchen makes it easy and convenient by delivering products that are paleo, free from offensive artificial preservatives, dairy-free, and gluten-free. They contain nothing but the highest quality ingredients like natural fats, superfoods and antioxidant rich herbs and spices.
This Chopped Detox Salad has got a lot goin’ on. Flavors, textures, nutrient dense ingredients… they’re all at the party! I set out to create a salad that was both filling, easy to prepare and nutritious, and I have to say this was a huge success. It’s got tons of veggie fiber power from the kale, cabbage, cucumber, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, with fun add-ins like sunflower seeds, chopped almonds and parsley.
I had never really cooked with fresh parsley before, but I’ve been making an effort to expand my herb horizons so I gave it a try. I quickly realized that parsley is so much more that a weird green plate garnish that no one wants to eat… this herb is UNDERRATED and needs your attention. Parsley is loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin C, the body’s primary water-soluble antioxidant that attacks free radicals, reduces inflammation, and boosts immunity (1). The simple herb is also an excellent source of Vitamin K- great for bone health, folate- helps form red blood cells and copper- essential for metabolic processes (2). Moment of silence for parsley and all that it does for us.
Dress It Up
In other salad news, I took two different routes in dressing up this Chopped Detox Salad. I used Primal Kitchen’s Greek Vinaigrette on half, and omg you guys so good and flavorful. On the other half, I made a Grapefruit Vinaigrette using Primal Kitchen’s Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. I also learned how to properly spell vinaigrette. Gold star! Avocado oil is uh-mazing for it’s high levels of heart healthy monounsaturated fat and high smoke point, making it perfect for cooking. It’s also been shown to prevent diabetes, lower cholesterol, and improve arthritis symptoms (3).
There are so many ways to get creative and make this salad your own. And, since all the veggies are sturdy, it’s perfect for weekly meal prep. Here are a few customization considerations:
Protein- hard boiled eggs, bacon, chicken, steak
Fruit- blueberries, grapefruit, strawberries, pineapple
Nuts & seeds- pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, pine nut, chia seeds
- It’s much easier AND safer to use a very sharp knife, especially when finely chopping tough veggies.
- I used the paws mother earth gave me to mix everything together because it’s easier and way more fun.
- Using a sealable jar to make the vinaigrette makes it super easy to mix and store any leftovers.
One lucky winner will win a bottle of Greek Dressing and Marinade, one bottle of Ranch Dressing, one bottle of California Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, one bottle of Avocado Oil, and a box of Coconut Cashew Bars. All shipped right to your door from the amazing Primal Kitchen team!
And it’s so easy to enter by heading over to the Roots and Sol Instagram page, liking my primal kitchen post, following @PrimalKitchenFoods and @Roots_and_Sol, and tagging a friend. A random winner will be drawn on Friday, February 10th. Can’t wait to share the results with you all!
- 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup kale
- ¾ cup cauliflower
- ¾ cup broccoli
- ½ cup carrot
- ½ cup cucumber
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- Half an avocado, optional topping
- A few grapefruit slices, optional topping
- 4 Tbsp. Primal Kitchen California Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp. grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Begin by thoroughly washing all veggies.
- Shred red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots. Chop kale, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, parsley and almonds. Add everything into a large bowl. Add in sunflower seeds. Mix well.
- Dress with Primal Kitchen Greek Dressing or…..
- To make the Grapefruit Vinaigrette, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk vigorously until well combined. OR place them all in a jar, seal tightly with the lid and shake it like a salt shaker.
- Before serving pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix again.
- Add whatever additional toppings tickles your fancy and enjoy!